Friday, June 26, 2020

Review: Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets & Advice for Living Your Best Life by Ali Wong and Justin Hakuta

44600621


Title: Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets & Advice for Living Your Best Life
Author: Ali Wong and Justin Hakuta (Afterword)
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Memoir, Comedy, Nonfiction, Adult
Pages: 240
Publisher: Random House
Year Published: 2019
Format: Audiobook

"Ali Wong's heartfelt and hilarious letters to her daughters (the two she put to work while they were still in utero), covering everything they need to know in life, like the unpleasant details of dating, how to be a working mom in a male-dominated profession, and how she trapped their dad.

In her hit Netflix comedy special 'Baby Cobra', an eight-month pregnant Ali Wong resonated so heavily that she became a popular Halloween costume. Wong told the world her remarkably unfiltered thoughts on marriage, sex, Asian culture, working women and why you never see new mom comics on stage but you see plenty of new dads.

The sharp insight and humor are even more personal in the completely original collection. She shares the wisdom she's learned from a life in comedy and reveals stories from her life off stage, including the brutal singles life in New York (ie. the inevitable confrontation with erectile dysfunction), reconnecting with her roots 9and drinking snakes blood) in Vietnam, tales of being a wild child growing up in San Francisco, and parenting war stories. Though addressed to her daughters, Ali Wong's letters are absurdly funny, surprisingly moving, and enlightening (and disgusting) for all."

My Rating: 4/5

I always find it difficult to rate nonfiction books. Either because they are historically based, or stories about peoples lives. I really try to base my rating of these on writing style and enjoyment. 
I knew that I would enjoy this one because I had watched the author's comedy specials and loved her crass sense of humor. I'm under the opinion that if a man is allowed to talk about sex, and their bodies so the hell are we! And so Ali Wong was a great comedian choice to watch with my gang of friends. When I saw that she was putting out a book, I knew that I would read it. 
For anyone who likes her comedy, I would recommend the audiobook as it is narrated by her mostly, and her husband has his input at the end which was very interesting to me. It can't be easy to hear jokes about yourself some times.
I loved the writing style and was entertained overall. I really hope that she puts out more Netflix special and another book. AMAZING. 

Thanks for reading,

Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment