Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Spoiler: War Storm by Victoria Aveyard


This series was a favourite for the past few years. At least since the first one came out, I've been keeping up with them. Unfortunately, I didn't get to this one when it first came out and now I'm stuck here thinking that it just didn't end how I wanted it to this. This series has followed Mare Barrow, a girl who unbeknownst to her had immense power and stumbles into a lion's den. Beginning with betrayal, politics, and intense battles. I loved the series overall, but the ending wasn't strong enough for the series.

Characters:
Cal: I really loved his character, but the fact that he chose the crown, time and time again annoyed the shit out of me. I understand that he was trained to rule, and was tutored to believe that the nation would fall without a strong king, but he had been travelling with the new-bloods for some time. He had to understand that they could overthrow him in the same way the original silvers overthrew the reds. And maybe he was set in his ways, but he flipped pretty quick when the only other option was another set of royals trying to take over the nation. It seemed like a last resort move, not a change of heart. I do wonder how he works through these changes in the novella.

Maven: Here I thought he would be dealt with in the end. And in some ways he was. He was left to be killed off until the very end. I was hoping for a more epic battle as we saw throughout the rest of the series and instead it turned more into political warfare. Which is also great, when done well, this wasn't done the best. I was happy to see that Mare was able to fight her demons and end this monster.

Mare: I think that we really saw her grow throughout this revolution. I just wish that we were able to watch her grow a little bit further than the epilogue. I was glad that she was able to find peace and a group of people who she could relate too (other newbloods with similar powers).

Farley: She is my favourite in the series! She is such a badass. Has a baby, has to leave her to go to war. Does it and continually leads groups into battles without powers, just a badass with a shit ton of weapons. I just wish that she had been able to kill Tolly. 

Kilorn: I loved his attitude towards being left out and how he fought his hardest to protect Mare from all different kinds of pain. I was also glad that we didn't focus on her turning down his feelings. She was straight forward and let him know that she didn't feel that way, and while he had a moment to deal with that he didn't hold that against her! I loved that!

Iris: Another badass. I hope that in the novella bindup we get to see what happens with her and how she was raised. Because she knew how to blend in and how to make connections. I liked her, definitely interested in learning more about her in general. 

Evangeline: I think that she generally took up too much time. I liked seeing her perspective and personal rebellion, but other than the battle in Harbour Bay I didn't think that the pov was all the necessary. I do hope to see more interactions between her and Mare. 

Julian: I was glad to see that in general he sided with the Reds and Silvers in the interest of the kingdoms for a while I thought that he was denying their cause and I was pissed. I wish that we had gotten his perspective instead of Mavens to be completely honest.


Moments to Remember:

Pg. 7
"'Did you hear me, lighting girl?' She sniffs and forces a smile, turning back around to reveal a now very red and splotchy face. 'I said I'm proud of you. Write that down. Commit it to memory. You probably won't hear it again.'"

Pg. 58
"'Are you offering yourself for the job, Iris?' he clips, looking down his nose at me.
I tighten at such a foolish thought. 'I am a queen and princess, not a dog playing fetch.'
'Of course, you aren't a dog, my dear.' Maven offers a sneer, never breaking his stride. 'Dogs obey.'"

Pg. 326
"Somewhere, a few of our storms break off. Their job is to call up thunder. Cultivate lightning. Shock and awe the garrison, send them running. Make them think Barrow is here."

Pg. 428
"Farley doesn't rise to the bait this time.She keeps still, and Davidson slowly claps his hands, inclining his head toward the false king. 'I have to applaud you, Maven,' he says. The blank calm of the premier is a welcome respite from so much bile. 'I admit, I didn't expect such deft manipulations from someone so young. But I assume that's how your mother built you, didn't she?' he adds, looking to me."

Final Line: "I will go back."

Thanks for reading,

Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment