Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Spoiler: The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch

This book is amazing! Jeff Hirsch opens up his imagination and lets us in. It helps the reader to realize what our world would become if we don't take care of what we have and/or change our ways. I couldn't help but picture the world after P11 with the description of rusted cars, crashed overgrown planes and collapsing buildings everywhere. I hated the idea that there were people from the military slaving and being completely evil, just because the government had collapsed. Thank goodness for Settler's Landing. If it wasn't for this area and many of it's population this book would have been depressing and pointless. As I mentioned in the book review above I did find parts of the plot predictable. Such as Jenny and Stephen ending up an item, and the way that their prank came back to bite them in the butt.

Characters:
Stephen: This character was a great point of view to tell the story. The fact that Stephen had been born after the Collapse and that he didn't really know much about the world prior gave a unique perspective into this world. Stephen although young has suffered immense loss and in this novel finds who he really is. I think this is thanks to Marcus, Violet, Jackson and Jenny in Settler's Landing. I do wish that we had gotten to know his father better before the incident. I was not surprised though when Stephen and Jenny went they're separate ways. Jenny longed for Stephen's past and vice versa. I think they both found they're calling.

Jenny: She is a wild child that's not expected in the area of Settler's Landing. She doesn't want to just be safe in this quaint little town, she wants freedom and she fights for it. Although I wasn't really happy that her and Stephen ended up together, I think that they would have been better just friends but there were a few sweet moments that can be found between them in the book. I was proud that she wasn't afraid to go her separate ways and chase her dreams.

Jackson: We get to learn a bit about Jackson and his school friends. I was surprised that he really didn't like Jenny, even though they had grown up together but after the explanation he gives Stephen it makes more sense.

Marcus: I love that he wants to protect his own but he takes it a little to far in almost letting the slavers go to the other town.

Violet: I love the strong women in this novel. She's a doctor and doesn't let anyone in the town intimidate her. She is her own person and doesn't just go with the flow. Her conscious is what guides her.

Grandpa: We never meet Stephen's grandfather but he does play a big part in the book. Stephen believes for at least the first half of the book that his grandpa is the reason they had survived so long and even if he had abused him it was for his own good. It's good that Stephen let go and realized he didn't have to follow his grandfather's footsteps.

The Henrys: These people are evil! I can't believe that another human would hire slaver's to take out the enemy, it's cowardly and wrong!

Tuttle: Tuttle really changes Stephen's point of view in life. He tells him that a day will come when they need people who are learned not just salvagers and I think he's the reason that Stephen stays in Settler's Landing at the end of the book.


Moments to Remember:
♥Pg.  76
" 'Thanks, everybody. Um. I just wanted to say it's great that we could all be here like this tonight. It's Thanksgiving today, uh, we think..."

♥Pg. 114
"'Okay, I get it. Crappy day for you. No question,' Derrick went on. 'And I know that most people would back off at this point and let you go and gather your thoughts or whatever, but I can't. My mom says it's 'cause I've got, like, this thing in my head that makes it so once I get on something I can't let it go, and I get kinda hyper about it. She said when she was a kid they'd have doped me to the gills on this stuff called Ritalin, but now-- ha!-- everyone has to just put up with me!' "

♥Pg. 123
"'Hit and run!' Derrick shouted. 'Just hit and run!'
  'Tear the cover off it, Steve!' Jackson yelled.
  'Don't suck,' Stan called from the bench."

♥Pg. 179
"I'd recognize that look that came over his face then. He got it a lot when looking at Mom. It was like he was seeing her as she was right then, bright and rosy in the fire's glow, but at the same time seeing her as she was on the day they met, and when they'd first kissed, and when they'd snuck away from Grandpa to be married, and then as he imagined she might be ten years down the line, then twenty, then thirty, and finally as the old woman he had no idea she would never have the chance to become."

♥Pg. 266
"'Any trouble?'
  'Oh yeah,' she said. 'Always.'
  'You didn't have to shoot anyone, did you?'"


Thanks for reading,
Love,
Sidny xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment