Monday, March 28, 2016

Book Review: Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard



Title: Glass Sword
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Series/Novel: Red Queen (Book #2)
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Dystopia
Pages: 444
Publisher: HarperTeen
Year Published: 2016
First Line: "I flinch."

"If there's one thing Mare Barrow knows, it's that she's different.
Mare Barrow. Mare Burrow's blood is red- the color is common folk- but her Silver ability, power to control lightning, has turned her into a weapon that the royal court tries to control.
The crown calls her an impossibility, a fake, but as she makes her escape from Maven, the prince- the friend- who betrayed her, Mare uncovers something startling. She is not only one of her kind.
Pursued by Maven, now a vindictive king. Mare sets out to find and recruit other Red-and-Silver fighters to join in the struggle against her oppressors.
But Mare finds herself on a deadly path, at risk of becoming exactly the monster she is trying to defeat.
Will she shatter under the weight of the lives that are the cost of rebellion? Or have treachery and betrayal hardened her forever?
The electrifying next instalment in the Red Queen series escalates the struggle between the growing rebel army and blood-segregated world they've always known- and pits Mare against the darkness that has grown in her soul."

My Rating: 5/5

I am so happy I had the time this long weekend to finish this incredible book! I haven't finished one in what feels like forever and this book was the perfect to get me back into reading the way I want to. Throughout the weekend, I found myself carrying it with me to find moments when I could pick it up and find out what was happening and to who. 
I think that my friends were getting a little fed up with my constant reading habit everywhere we went. 
This second instalment really showcases how Mare has been effected by the past and in the present by actions surrounding her. I also think it truly shows you never know who you can trust in a time when you are an unusual individual. People fear what they don't know. I also think the exploration of the country was interesting as there is a distinct difference in the character we meet along the way. The idea of fighting is also large in this book and very well described, making a reader feel like they are in the heat of the battle. I think the additional characters really made a difference to how this was written. It showed different perspectives and gave different ideas about the future of the series. I think that the book also moved at a natural speed which is something that some books have trouble with, this one on the other hand had a perfect flow for me to read throughout the weekend. 
And that ending........ just saying. Read it!

THANK YOU VICTORIA AVEYARD FOR SHOWING A CHARACTER WHO IS SO UNREAL YET SO GENUINE!
Thanks for reading,
Love,
Sidny 

No comments:

Post a Comment