Saturday, March 23, 2019

Spoiler: War of the Cards by Colleen Oakes

I've finally finished this series that I was supposed to reread through last month and I can't believe it took me so long. I really enjoyed this last instalment. I expected it to lead up to the battle and that be the end of it, but I appreciated that the author put the action closer to the middle and wrapped the story with important plot points. There were times where the main character just seemed to be a little too naive even for me. That being said I was proud when she would realize something or research it for herself. I loved the different world and the notable nods to the original literature. Especially the end one.

Characters:
Dinah: I think the fact that she has that deeply embedded rage really makes the story what it is. The idea that she could just snap at any moment is terrifying both to her as well as the reader. It makes you wonder how she would be capable of ruling at some points and at others helps you acknowledge her fear of being on the throne at some points.

Wardley: My heart broke so soundly for him. I do wish that he had just told her. As per usual lack of communication lead to the death of someone's loved one. That being said, it would be safe to assume that she would have reacted the same way. Also if he can't even look at her how did they make 3 children....?

Cheshire: This scheming mother f**cker really twisted his way right into power. I'm not terribly surprised just disappointed. Wouldn't it have been easier to just manipulate the king and Vittorie? Not to mention did he not think that she would ever find out like she's a little naive but not dumb.

Mundoo: I liked his character, his strength for his people really came through. Overall their culture was so interesting to me. 

Bah-kan: I actually bawled when he died and I didn't expect that at all. He might have been my favourite character in this series.

Vittorie: I felt for her, but really to lay with Wardley was asking for it. Like you couldn't resist and just try to leave the palace to get away from him. I just didn't understand that choice tbh. 

Sir Gorrann: His story just hit me right in the heart more so than Alice and Wardley. It was far more important to me. 


Final Line: "But for her daughter's sake, Dinah prayed that this time, love would be enough to quench the flame."


Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment