Monday, October 3, 2016

Book Review: Me and Earl and The Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews


25110515

Title: Me and Earl and The Dying Girl
Author: Jesse Andrews
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult, Humor

Pages: 295
Publisher: Harry N. Abrams
Year Published:2012

"It is universally acknowledged truth that high school sucks. But on the first day of his senior year, Greg Gaines thinks he's figured it out. The answer to the basic existential question: How is it possible to exist in a place that sucks so bad? His strategy: remain at the periphery at all times. Keep an insanely low profile. Make mediocre film with the one person who is even sort of his friend, Earl.
This plan works for exactly eight hours. Then Greg's mom forces him to become friends with a girl who has cancer. This brings about the destruction of Greg's entire life.
Fiercely funny, honest and heart-breaking- this is an unforgettable novel from a bright talent, now also a film that critics are calling a touchstone for its generation and an instant classic."

My Rating: 4/5

Overall I really enjoyed listening to the audio version of this book. I listened to this while I drove on a road trip to go to visit my boyfriend. I thought that this book transformed into an audio book very well. The voice acting was amazing and made me laugh like a mad woman in my car. I thought that the characters really shone throughout the story. Greg is an amazing narrator and while getting readers invested into the story also makes us laugh in dramatic moments. I thought that all the characters brought something into the story. I hope to read more from this author in the future. The only reason the rating was docked was because of the ending and how abrupt the story seemed to end for me.

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment