Saturday, October 22, 2016

Book Review: With Malice by Eileen Cook

26153925
Title: With Malice
Author: Eileen Cook
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genres: Young Adult, Mystery, Contemporary, Thriller
Pages: 316
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Year Published: 2016

First Line: "I'm not a morning person."

"It was the perfect trip... until it wasn't.
Eighteen-year-old Jill Charron wakes up in a hospital bed, leg in a cast, stitches on her face and a big black canvas where the last six weeks should be. She discovers she was involved in a fatal car accident while on a school trip in Italy. A trip she doesn't even remember taking. She was jetted home by her affluent father in order to receive quality car. Care that includes a lawyer. And a press team. Because maybe the accident... wasn't and accident.
As the accident makes national headlines, Jill finds herself the centre of a murder investigation. It doesn't help that the media is portraying her as a sociopath who killed her bubbly best friend, Simone, in a jealous rage. With the evidence mounting against her, there's only one thing Jill knows for sure: She would never hurt Simone. But what really happened? Questioning who she can trust and what she's capable of, Jill desperately tries to piece together the past six weeks before she loses her thin hold on her once-perfect life."

My Rating: 3.5/5

So this book was a relatively short book and had been compared to We Were Liars which I had read earlier this year. I thought that the book was going to be a short and easy book. I thought that this was going to be a quick read. I enjoyed many aspects of this book. The process of watching a young girl in a rehab centre, as well as lawyering up. I thought that that was something I hadn't read about before. I would say that this book is thrilling like We Were Liars and deals with thrilling topics, but I thought that it wasn't the best thriller I've ever read. The story was interesting to me, but I found that there were underlying topics that were not taken seriously enough. I also found many characters to be frustrating throughout. All in all, I would recommend this as a first thrilling type read for the first time.

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment