Sunday, January 15, 2017

Book Review: The Miserable Mill by Lemony Snicket


280049

Title: The Miserable Mill
Author: Lemony Snicket
Series/Standalone: A Series of Unfortunate Events (Book #4)
Genre: Fiction, Young Adult, Fantasy
Pages: 194
Publisher:  HarperCollins
Year Published: 2000
First Line: "Sometime during your life- in fact, very soon- you may find yourself reading a book, and you may notice that a book's first sentence can often tell you what sort of story your book contains."

"Dear Reader,

I hope, for your sake, that you have not chosen to read this book because you are in the mood for a pleasant experience. If this is the case, I advise you to put this book down instantaneously, because of all the books describing the unhappy lives of the Baudelaire orphans, THE MISERABLE MILL might be the unhappiest yet. Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire are sent to Paltryville to work in a lumbermill, and they find disaster and misfortune lurking behind every log.
The pages of this book, I'm sorry to inform you, contain such unpleasantries as a giant pincher machine, a bad casserole, a man with a cloud of smoke where his head should be, a hypnotist, a terrible accident resulting in injury, and coupons.
I have promised to write down the entire story of these three poor children, but you haven't, so if you prefer stories that are more heartwarming, please feel free to make another selection.

With all due respect,
Lemony Snicket."

My Rating: 4/5

I didn't like this instalment as much as the other books in the series. It seemed to be too straight forward other than the other books. That being said it is a nice short read for a Sunday afternoon and fit perfectly in my schedule. I also enjoy how this series takes a turn to make it more Young Adult rather than Middle Grade with it's themes. The characters as always stay true to who they are and continue to lead unpleasant lives. I can't remember what happens in the next book so I look forward to being surprised by the rest of the series and then I hope to binge watch the tv show.

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment