Sunday, January 15, 2017

Spoiler: More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera

So this is my first contemporary read for 2017 and I'm happy that it was the first one I picked up. Maybe I'll start picking up more. I really enjoyed this book I thought thtat the premise was interesting. The idea of changing one thing about a person or being able to forget one aspect of your life is intriguing and I truly didn't think that Aaron had already gone through the process once. But I also thought the aspect of sexuality was important to bring up. I'll be the first to admit that I don't read many diverse book but I'm hoping to change that. And I think this book was a good way to start. I thought that bringing in a different lifestyle along with the orientation fo the main character was key in this story and Adam Silvera did an amazing job of showing how different people react to the coming out process not that acting with violence is good, but it's a sad reality for many.

Characters:
Aaron: I think in his 17 years he has seen a lot of shit. Let's be honest. He's put up with being bullied, hiding who he really was, violence in the home, poverty, and he's still coming out trying. By the end of the book, he broke my heart. To know that he might not ever get the happy ending he originally wanted breaks my heart but also knowing that he could be 100% who he was around his family was at least a little relieving.

Thomas: I don't know if Thomas is straight or not and we'll never know because you can't tell someone's sexuality based on the way they act or look. I think that he and Genevieve will be happy together if they give each other a chance.

Genevieve: I was more than a little upset when I found out that she knew he had the procedure done the first time and still got back together with him. I mean I guess they both thought that he would be "straight" but still to let herself fall so in love with him, it just didn't make a lot of sense to me. I hope that she finds happiness somewhere.

Aaron's Mom: To do something to make your child happy even though you might lose them scares the crap out of me but she did it, almost twice. I hope that she doesn't blame herself for the side effects. 

Aaron's Dad: I'm going to presume that he was mentally ill, but that doesn't make it ok to abuse your family! 

Collin: I hope that he finds happiness someday, some how.

Brennan: He can go straight to hell.


Moments To Remember:
Final Line: "Don't forget me."

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment