Sunday, January 15, 2017

Book Review: More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera

26236898
Title: More Happy Than Not
Author: Adam Silvera
Series/Stand Alone: Stand Alone
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, LGBT, Fiction
Pages: 300
Publisher: Soho Teen
Year Published: 2016
First Line: "It turns out the Leteo procedure isn't bullshit."

"In his twisty, gritty, profoundly moving New York Times Bestselling Debut Adam Silvera brings to life a charged, dangerous near-future summer in the Bronx. 
Sixteen-year-old Aaron Soto is struggling to find happiness after a family tragedy leaves him reeling. He's slowly remembering what happiness might feel like this summer with the support of his girlfriend Genevieve, but it's his new best friend, Thomas, who really gets Aaron to open up about his past and confront his future contentment. A revolutionary memory-alteration procedure, courtesy of the Leteo Institute, might be the way to straighten himself out. But what if it means forgetting who he truly is?"

My Rating: 4/5

So I don't read a lot of contemporaries but I'm trying to read books that I normally wouldn't pick up and this one really caught my attention after hearing Jessie The Reader talk about it on his youtube channel. It deals with mental illness, poverty and coming of age. These themes are maintained throughout the book along with the idea of forgetting and remembering. Would it be easier just to forget things that have broken your heart? What would that do to you as a person? I thought about this a lot while I read this book and I can sincerely say that this book is one that will make you think. It will give you the feels and break you apart but overall it will make you wonder.  I couldn't give this book a 5/5 because it just didn't feel right. I found the beginning of the book was slow and harder to get into so for that reason I liked it but didn't find myself loving it. 

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment