Sunday, January 8, 2017

Spoiler: Deep Blue by Jennifer Donnelly

So it's only the beginning of the year and I've already found a book that just wasn't for me. Off to a good start, aren't we? Anywho this story is the story of a princess mermaid who is one of 6 chosen ones. It speaks about girl power and attempts to create a magical underwater world. I did find that the history was in depth and interesting. I thought that that would carry throughout but it seemed to lack in the middle. I also found that the time line didn't seem to line up, it didn't flow as nicely as I had hoped. And here's what really got me down in this book, the characters were whiny and juvenile. 

Characters:
Seraphina: Whiny and under developed. I found that this character did not act her age and wasn't ready to take over much of anything. I did empathize that she lost so much, but she didn't seem to care the Neela had also lost so much with her.. Just agravating.

Neela: Her obsession with candy was cute at first but after time it was more frustrating than anything not to mention her slang. I don't have much else to say based on how little I really know about her from the writing style.

Ling: I'm sure they would really just stumble on this girl in the middle of nowhere that's fine.

Mahdi: She's going to end up with the bad party boy, in the end, won't she? I don't' even care to read to find out.


Moments to Remember:
Final Line: "In the time to see Vraja pick up a rock and smash the mirror."


Just a quick note that these are only my opinions and I encourage everyone to make up their own minds about books. Even though this book was not for me, it doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't enjoy it.
Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment