Monday, March 19, 2018

Spoiler: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

This story was everything I needed and more. I understand now why everyone says that everyone should read this book. This story is so incredibly important for this time period and those in the future. As someone who has a considerable amount of privilege, I was so upset to read about what other people are going through with police violence. This book was an eye opener. There were things that I knew about, but to see how people had to think so carefully about interactions with law enforcement and people of other races.
I also loved the family element of this story. So often you read or see books like this where the main characters family life is horrible and it made me think that perhaps that's some authors ways of saying why certain things happen. Not that that is at all right. Not even close.

Characters:
Starr: I think that seeing her act as she did really shook me. To see someone fear for everyone around them for trying to do the right thing and try to defend a friend. I can't imagine being in her situation, but sadly it happens everyday. People make presumptions about other people, and when guns are available whose to say prejudices wouldn't get in the way. I was frustrated to see that the cop wasn't put behind bars, but I'm sadly not surprised. This book is realistic. 

Maverick: I loved how he took care of his family and those in the community. I loved that he took care of those around him and was willing to put in the work for his community to be a better place. That being said, I think he made a good choice leaving with his family when he did. Especially after all the shit with King went down.

Khalil: Although we don't know all that much about him, it's clear that he was doing some things out of necessacity and not out of want. Unfortunately, this is another incredibly realistic ascpect of this story. People get stuck in the cycle of poverty and drugs, in a system very much stacked against them.

Seven: He's strong in his own right. To give up what he really wanted to try and do better things for his family is a strong move. That being said he puts up with seeing his mother used and abused along with his sisters. It broke my heart at the end to see how he broke inside seeing his mom give him and his siblings a chance to run. 

Chris: He definetly has a type but that's not a bad thing. I think that he's a good guy and he's really trying to understand Starr's world and how it's different from his own. That being said, he would never fully be able to put himself in her shoes. 

Maya: I liked that she finally stood up for herself and opened up about how she felt. Hailey should never have spoken to them that way, and she shouldn't speak to anyone that way at all. 

Hailey: She's not unlike many people who've grown up with a privilege and don't believe that privelege exists. She was so frustrating to read about, but I would assume that there are more people like her than I'd like to believe.

King: People do what they have to do to survive. That being said, he should have gotten more time for everything he'd done to people and his community.

Kenya: Her life isn't all that uncommon. Across every walk of life children are abused physically, sexually and verbally. Until we stand up and fight for the rights of those who cannot speak for themselves these children may never be free.

Momma: She's strong and raised 2 kids on her own while her husband was in jail, and she was able to forgive him after everything that happened. Together they worked to provide a better life for their family, and provide care in their community.


Moments to Remember:

Final Line: "I promise."

Thanks for reading,
Sidny






No comments:

Post a Comment