Sunday, March 4, 2018

Spoiler: Winter by Marissa Meyer

One goal I have this year is to finish out series that I start and to marathon them when I can and enjoy them. This one has been a long time coming and after Cress, I wasn't sure what to expect. Overall I really enjoyed the characters and the setting in this installment. That being said, I found that the plot was a little lacklustre at some points. I just didn't seem to feel the urgency that I should have felt while reading the second half of the book. That being said, I think that Marissa Meyer is super creative with her retellings and the way that she uses things from the original fairy tales. 

Characters:
Winter: I think that she was an interesting character to hear from. Especially based on her choice not to use her gift. I was interested in her madness and how quickly she could spiral. I also wonder about after the war and where her thoughts went. I loved her characters and I wish that we would have heard a little more about her upbringing with Levana.

Jacin: His loyalty to Winter throughout this story is so impressive. Also his restraint in keeping himself from telling her how he felt. I liked the element of wanting something he couldn't have. It made their romance so much more than guard and princess. 

Levana: She is a good freaking villain. She's crazy and selfish but seriously thinks that she is doing right by her people by making the choices she does. A fantastically written villain. 

Cinder: I was most proud of her last decision to adequate the throne at some point. After all, she didn't really want to be a ruler she wanted to give the people of Luna freedom. She succeeded in the goal and plans to give them a more secure future with her decision.

Kai: I still think that he's a little bland. Too much a just kind of there to hold off the villain which I understand but not my favourite male character by far. 

Thorne: Thorne grew a lot on me in this book especially after Cress is left behind. His urge to get back to her broke my heart. I also enjoyed the way he reacted to trying to tell her how he felt. Even after he just stabbed her. I also loved that at the wedding he told that Lunar he loved her because he thought that she was Cress. My heart hurt as we watched their relationship grow. 

Cress: Another character who grew on me as she got more confident in her abilities. She was willing to risk herself for the good of all, which I felt is something she lacked in the 3rd book. I also think that her romance with Thorne was better fleshed out in the finale.

Scarlet: Still my favourite female character. She's badass and she doesn't take shit from anybody. She's willing to fight for those she loves and those she just started to get to know (Winter). I think that her storyline and romance is the real reason I finished the series. And possibly the only reason for me to continue with Stars Above.

Wolf: Probably not a surprise but my favourite male character as well. His romance with Scarlet was so perfectly executed in this storyline. The way he changes and is still himself underneath it all. I also loved that he was willing to let Scarlet go if she wanted, even though it would likely break him. I also just think that he was hot. Not even gonna lie he has so many amazing qualities.

Iko: I'm not a huge fan of her but I don't hate her either. She was ok for me to read from, especially as she was not affected by glamours. I understand that she had a different personality than the average AI, but I'm not interested in reading Wires and Nerve just yet.


Moments to Remember:

Final Line: "She held her foot over the water and let go."

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment