Saturday, March 10, 2018

Book Review: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn


19288043
Title: Gone Girl
Author: Gillian Flynn
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Mystery, Crime, Fiction, Adult
Pages:415
Publisher: Broadway Books
Year Published: 2012
Format: Library Copy (Paperback)
First Line: "When I think of my wife, I always think of her head."

"On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn't doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife's head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and media- as well as Amy's fiercely doting parents- the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he's definitely bitter- but is he really a killer?"

My Rating: 3.75/5

This was my local book clubs pick for the month and it took a lot longer for me to get through than I anticipated. The story was interesting, but due to already having watched the movie, I found that I knew where the story was headed. If I hadn't watched the movie, I think that I would have enjoyed the thrilling aspects much more. I also enjoyed the writing style, there's something to be said for being able to write really unlikeable characters and still have the reader interested in where their lives are going. That being said, if you have already watched the movie, I wouldn't say that it's necessary to read the book.

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment