Saturday, March 10, 2018

Spoiler: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

This story was one that was suggested by the shyest member of my local book club. So our meeting this month should be interesting, to say the least. I think that this book had many interesting elements. The unlikeable characters (I think I liked 2 people out of everyone), the thrilling aspect (had I not already watched the movie) and the look into criminal investigations/crime tv.
I think that the idea of having someone be so committed to a lie to commit self-harm was a wild idea but none-the-less an interesting one.

Characters:
Amy: There's no way around it, she's a freaking psychopath. She doles out her own means of justice however she feels she needs to. I kind of forgot all the other people she had lied about and gotten away with before Nick. It makes you wonder if she was able to do this to more people after the course of the novel took place.

Nick: He is another character that isn't likeable. He's not a good guy. He's done some shitty stuff, but the idea that he and Amy are having a child together horrifies me, to say the least. What kind of household would I child be raised in with these two?

Rand: I liked him. He was self-aware that he sounded corny and kind of ridiculous throughout everything.

Go: She's a hard character to keep up with, but she might be the only sane one in Nick's life. Yes, she doubted him for a little while, but that being said she stuck by him through everything.

Marybeth: I didn't like her in the least, to be determined that Nick was the only problem in the marriage might be some of the reasons that Amy had romantic issue (I mean besides her being crazy and unable to tell fact from opinion).

Rhonda: I wish she'd been able to get her guy. But I think that it's safe to say that not everything worked out in the novel we would have liked.

Desi: I felt a little bad for him in the movie, but in the book, he was as much as a jerk as possible. To try to buy someone's love is just pointless.


Moments to Remember:

Final Line: "I think I've earned that."


Thanks for reading,
Sidny


No comments:

Post a Comment