Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Spoiler: The Absolutely Ture Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

This book was amazing! Insightful, humor-filled and right into the mind of teenager. This book is the story of Junior, or Arnold Spirit, a boy who has grown up on the Spokane reservation. He ends up leaving this reservation after a talk with a teacher. Going to a white school is probably the hardest thing he has ever done but I think for him it was worth it. I know that people are going to think that this book is racist, but it is really proving a point. Its showing that it doesn't matter where you come from, what race you are, what gender you are, or whether your the brightest bulb on the tree everyone has a right to a life, education and oppurtonity. This isn't always offered in the real world, but it needs to stop being an issue. If we all work together we can give children a quality education, food and over all life. Characters: Junior: Although the rest of the tribe doesn't think he's smart, he is incredibly intellegent and talented. He has a passion for learning and without Junior there wouldn't be a book. Rowdy: Junior's best friend who acts like a jerk sometimes, mostly because he's had a rough life. All and all, a good guy. Penelope: I can't believe no one did anything about her eating disorder. WTF!!!! Gordy: A small town sheldon cooper. But more awesome! Favorite/Memorable Lines and Moments: ♥Pg. 17 "He was always cring and screaming and kicking and punching. He bit his mother's breast when she tried to nurse him. He kept bitting her, so she gave up and fed him formula. He really hasn't changed much since then. Well, at fourteen years old, it's not like he runs around biting women's breasts, but he does punch and kick and spit." ♥Pg. 21 "I was lying on the ground, holding my nuts as tenderly as a squirrel holds his nuts, when Rowdy walked up." ♥Pg. 94 " 'I want us to be friends,' I said. 'Excuse me?' he asked. 'I want us to be friends,' I said. Gordy stepped back. 'I assure you,' he said. 'I am not homosexual.' " ♥Pg. 109 " 'Kid, you better keep your hands out of my daughter's panties. She's only dating you because she knows it will piss me off. So I ain't going to get pissed. And if I ain't pissed then she'll stop dating you. In the meantime, you just keep your trouser snake in your trousers and I won't have to punch you in the stomach.' " ♥Pg. 155 "My grandmother had no use for all the gay bashing and homophobia in the world, especially among other Indians. 'Jeez,' she said. 'Who cares if a man wants to marry another man? All I want to know is who's going to pick up all the dirty socks?' " ♥Pg. 191 "I mean you have to love somebody that much to also hate them that much, too." Have a good week folks, Love, Sidny♥♪♫

No comments:

Post a Comment