Monday, October 22, 2012

Spoiler: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

I really loved this book as you will probably be able to tell from the book review above. Everything about this book draws me in. The setting, the event and the characters create a world that isn’t at all hard to imagine and the feeling of home. I got lost in this book as soon as I started reading simply because of the form. The way that Charlie writes letters grabs a readers attention and makes them listen, I simply couldn’t pull away. I think it’s weird that the year this story takes place is 3 years before I was born, but really that isn’t so long ago, not so hard to imagine. This book has many different topics that include abuse, drinking, drugs, sexuality etc. Things that all teenagers need to figure out.

Characters:
Charlie: Slowly we get to know this odd freshman boy. I thought it odd at first that Charlie writes letters to someone we don’t really know, but I realize now that is to make the person reading feel like the person these letters were meant for. Charlie grows in the book and sees things that many people don’t choose to see. As if maybe we see them but we just turn away. But Charlie sees, and he records. I can understand his love for Sam, they are cute I couldn’t believe what Aunt Helen had done, to be honest I thought it was gonna be Bill, the teacher.

Patrick: I was surprised to find out Patrick was gay, but really it’s important that different kinds of people are included in this story. Without Patrick we wouldn’t understand anything and he is an amazing character. I felt horrible the way him and Brad ended but I guess sometimes it’s better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at al….? Right?

Sam: Sam is a sweetheart, who seems to have gone through a lot. She does so many nice things for Charlie and she kind of takes him under her wing. I think that they would end up together someday, but really who am I to say? I can’t believe Craig would cheat on this amazing story.

Sister: I couldn’t believe that she would let a boy hit her the way she did, but the pregnancy I saw coming.

I could say so much more but it would take over the whole page. Please just read the book.

Moments to Remember:
♥Pg. 9
“I have finished To Kill a Mockingbird. It is now my favorite book of all time, but then again, I always think that until I read another book.”

♥Pg. 26
“‘I hate you.’
My sister said it different than she said it to my dad. She meant it with me. She really did.
‘I love you,’ was all I could say in return.”

♥Pg. 64
“… but I really think that everyone should have watercolors, magnetic poetry, and a harmonica.”

♥Pg. 201
“’You know I blamed Craig for not letting me do things? You know how stupid I feel about that now? Maybe he didn’t really encourage me to do things, but he didn’t prevent me from doing them either. But after a while, I didn’t do things because I didn’t want him to think different about me. Bu the thing is, I wasn’t being honest. So, why would I care whether or not he loved me when he didn’t really even know me?”

♥Pg. 213
“So if this does end up to be my last letter, please believe that things are good with me, and even when they’re not, they will be soon enough.”

Thanks for reading,
Love,
Sidny XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment