Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Book Review: A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly


Title: A Northern Light
Author: Jennifer Donnelly
Pages: 390
Publisher: Harcourt, Inc.
Year Published: 2003

"Sixteen-year-old Mattie Gokey has big dreams but little hope of seeing them come true. Desperate for money, she takes a job at the Glenmore, where hotel guest Grace Brown asks her to burn a bundle of secret letters. But when Grace's drowned body is fished from the lake, Mattie discovers the letters reveal the grim truth behind a murder.
Set in 1906 against the backdrop of the murder that inspired Theodore Dreiser's An American Tragedy, this astonishing novel weaves romance, history, and a murder mystery into something moving, real and wholly original."


My Rating: 4.5/5

I love a book that is shows history in its prime and isn't afraid to show the harsh realities of the time. I truly believe that in order to understand our present, we have to understand our past. Since this book is based in 1906 and told by a young woman, as a reader you get to understand the hardships of a woman in that time and what they were really treated like. I love that this book is based on a true story. The only thing I didn't honestly enjoy about this book is that some of the language wasn't what I imagined would be used in 1906, but I do understand that is must be extremely difficult to write in a language we don't see a lot of today. And this is why I rated this book a nine. I really do believe that all teenage girls who are finishing high school and deciding what to do with their lives should read this book, it has honestly helped me.
THANK YOU JENNIFER DONNELLY FOR SHOWING THE PAST WITHOUT SUGAR COATING IT!

Thanks for reading,
Love,
Sidny ♥♪♫

No comments:

Post a Comment