Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Spoiler: A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

As I mentioned in the book review above, I really love a book that shows history as it was. And that is exactly what I found in this book. I found that Mattie Gokey is a character that is easy to relate to because of her age and what she is facing in the times we read about her. I never really realized what country girls faced in the early 1900s. The way that they were treated or expected to act shocked me. Also the setting of this story cause for me to think about my own small town in the time 1906. What would it have looked like? What would the ladies have worn? And on, and on. This book has a way to just spark your imagination.

Characters:
Mattie Gokey: This is our main character and does she ever do a great job on telling the story. She uses words that start your imagination and help you visualize what is happening around her. I loved that in the end she followed her heart, and not just what everyone else told her to do. She took the hard road, even though she knew that things were more difficult that way. I also loved her word of the day, it taught me how much meaning there is in our vocabulary. I'm happy that she helped solve Grace's murder and that she got the courage to leave.

Weaver: I like Weaver because of his stubborn attitude. He brings justice from those who we wouldn't expect. He's not afraid just because he's different from the other people in the North Wood. He sticks up for himself and to  me that takes a lot of courage. I was so upset when his house burned down because of those racist trappers but in the end it all worked out for the best. I did think that by the end that Mattie and Weaver would be "sparking".

Royal: He is really just the farm boy that you expect to see in the country in the year of 1906. He only wants to marry Mattie for the chance that he may get her farm and he doesn't truly love her. I understand that Mattie wants someone to love her, but Royal is not that man. He deserves that Martha Miller she deserves to have no one honestly love her after what she said to Mattie at the picnic.

Pa: I really think that Mattie's pa did want what was best for her, but he couldn't bear someone else leaving and so he tried to hold her. Little did he know that that would only make her run harder.

Emmie Hubbard: I didn't like her in the beginning, because of the way she didn't take care of those children, and I liked her even less after I figured out what Mr. Loomis was doing with her, but in the end I do believe that she was on the right track with Weaver's mamma.


Moments to Remember:
♥Pg. 19
"Mamma would try her best to stay on the porch, to hang back and be proper, but she never could. He would smile at her, and then she was running down the path to him, crying because she was glad he was home with his hands and feet and arms and legs all still attached."

♥Pg. 143
"'You smell terrible!' Lou said, pinching her nose.
  He did, too. Manure and whisky fumes made an unholy combination.
  'What? I smell sweet as da rose! You give your uncle Fracois a beeg keese!' He put out his arms and staggered toward her, and she ran away squealing and laughing."

♥Pg. 186
"She has curly carrot-red hair and eyes the color of molasses. She is tiny. In the same way that a stick of dynamite is tiny."

♥Pg. 208
"Jeezum... What if God was a woman? Would the pope be out of a job? Would the president be a woman, too? And the governor? And the sheriff? And when people got married, would the man have to honor and obey? Would only women be allowed to vote?"

♥Pg. 322
"Fran grinned, 'Never make love in the country, Matt. 'Cuz the potatoes have eyes..'
'... and the corn has ears,' Ada finished, giggling."

♥Pg. 332
"'Dear Mattie,' He began, holding up his lemonade, 'I love you much, I love you mighty, I wish my pajamas were next to your nightie. Now don't get mad at what I said, I meant on the clothesline and not in the bed.'"

Thanks for reading,
Love,
Sidny xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment