Friday, March 1, 2013

Spoiler: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

As I mentioned in the book review above, I thought that this book was going to be a struggle to get to but in fact it was the opposite. Everything about this book helps us realize how one day can change our lives from the way its written to how the chapters are divided by the time to help us realize how much time has gone by. The memories in this book help us see who Mia was and who she might be. I think that every book asks us a question. And this one asks, do we live our lives enough that if we had the choice we would keep living? We have no idea what happens after death or in a coma and so this makes this book far more realistic.

Characters:
Mia: We see the whole story play out from Mia's point of view, we witness her memories and everything that's happening in the hospital on this one crazy day. I think the most important part is seeing her struggle over the choice of life and death. She is unique and talented and at the end there is the impression that she chooses to give off, but I'm not sure. I wish and hope with all my heart that she stay.

Teddy: I cried so hard when I found that out that he didn't make it. He was so young and sweet, lost all because of a stupid accident.

Mia's Mom: She seems like the perfect feminist, stubborn form of mom. It's obvious in the memories that she wears the pants.

Mia's Dad: I thought it was so sweet how Mia seems to idolize her dad. He was such a sweet guy.

Kim: Being a good best friend isn't always easy but Kim sure seems to make it look easy. She and Mia have there differences but no matter what she sticks with Mia through everything (and I do mean everything). I hope if Mia doesn't make it that Kim leads an ok life.

Adam: The perfect boyfriend. He doesn't run away when things get tough and you can tell that he wants Mia to stay more than anything else in the world. He makes me cry in the part where he's whispering to Mia in the hospital. The belong together!


Moments To Remember:
♥Pg. 87
"'You didn't cry then?' Mom asked in a sarcastic amusement.
 'I teared. I did not cry.'"

♥Pg. 112
"'Good,' Kim replied. 'Because if you turn into one of those girls, I'll shoot you.'
 'If I turn into one of those girls, I'll hand you the gun.'"

♥Pg. 156
"'He threw up when you were coming. Almost fainted on the floor. Not that I can blame him. But the dude was a mess, the doctors wanted to kick him out... said they were going to if you didn't come out within the half hour. That got your mom so pissed she pushed you out five minutes later.'"

♥Pg. 181
"'It's ok,' he tells me. 'If you want to go. Everyone wants you to stay. I want you to stay more than I've ever wanted anything in my life.' His voice cracks with emotion. he stops, clears his throat, takes a breath, and continues. 'But that's what i want and I could see why it might not be what you want. So I just wanted to tell you that I understand if you go. It's okay if you have to leave us. It's ok if you want to stop fighting.'"

Thanks for reading,
Love,
Sidny xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment