Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Book Review: North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley

Title: North of Beautiful
Author: Justina Chen Headley
Pages: 373
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Year Published: 2009

“It’s hard not to notice Terra Cooper.
 She’s tall, blond and has an enviable body. But with one turn of her cheek, all people notice is her unmistakably ‘flawed’ face. Terra secretly plans to leave her small, stifling town in the Northwest and escape to an East Coast college, but gets pushed off-course by her controlling father. When an unexpected quirky Goth boy immediately challenges her assumptions about herself and her life, and she is forced in yet another direction. With her carefully laid out plans disrupted, will Terra be able to find her true path?”

My Rating: 4/5

I didn’t really know what to expect from this book. It had been on my tbr (to be read) list and I just finally now was able to find it in my library. I was excited to read it and at first I thought that it would be a disappointment. I found this book slightly hard to get into and understand but about a quarter of the way through it picked up and I fell for the true meaning of this book. This books theme isn’t so much about finding yourself, it’s more about accepting who you are for who you are. I love that. I think that every person goes through that stage in life where we quite trying to conform to society and everyone else and just be ourselves. It’s an important stage of life where we find out who our true friends are and how much easier our future will be after we accept that we are who we are. It also has to do with the interesting topic of beauty and I think that in our 21st century we have a very different concept of what beauty is and it’s not always a good concept. I liked that this book pointed that out.
THANK YOU JUSTINA CHEN HEADLEY FOR CAPTURING SUCH AN IMPORTANT TIME IN EVERYONE’S LIFE!

Thanks for reading,
Love,
Sidny ♥♪♫

No comments:

Post a Comment