Sunday, June 4, 2017

Book Review: The Reader by Traci Chee


25064648
Title: The Reader
Author: Traci Chee
Series/Standalone: Sea of Ink and Gold Series (Book #1)
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Adventure
Pages: 442
Publisher: Putnam
Year Published: 2016
Format: Hardcover Physical Book (Own It)
First Line: "Once there was, and one day there will be."

"Once there was, and one day there will be. This is the beginning of every story.

Sefia lives her life on the run. After her father is viciously murdered, she flees to the forest with her aunt Nin, the only person left she can trust. They survive in the wilderness together, hunting and stealing what they need, forever looking over their shoulders for new threats. But when Nin is kidnapped, Sefia is suddenly on her own, with no way to know who's taken Nin or where she is. Her only clue is a strange rectangular object that once belonged to her father, something she comes to realize is a book.
Though reading is unheard of in Sefia's world, she slowly learns, unearthing the book's closely guarded secrets, which may be the key to Nin's disappearance and discovering what really happened the day her father was killed. With no time to lose, and the unexpected help of swashbuckling pirates and enigmatic stranger, Sefia sets out on a dangerous journey to rescue her aunt, using the book as her guide. In the end, she discovers what the book hd been trying to tell her all along: Nothing is as it seems, and the end of her story is only the beginning."

My Rating: 4.5/5

I'm trying very hard to get back to reading guys. At least one book a week if not more. So here's the first one that I felt like I kinda had to push through. I think that this book really reminded me why I personally chose not to DNF books. I started this a week ago and had a bit of trouble getting into it. I started reading on Sunday and made it about 80 pages pushing myself to get through them. I then proceeded to read it here and there, one or two pages every night. So when I picked it up this morning I was so confused about what was happening. If you feel this way if you're picking this up, please push through because around the 150 page mark it picks up the pace. I think that the part that was the most frustrating in the book was the pacing and timeline in the start of the book. There are many characters who don't seem related and it's hard to distinguish what is happening to who and when. Another aspect of this book I found frustrating was the use of words by the page numbers. I couldn't keep track of both the storyline and the story that was completely different on the bottom of the page. I appreciated the detail but it was a little too much for me.
While writing this review I looked up when the next book in this series comes out and it's sadly not until November of this year so until then I'll just be looking at the goodreads page anticipating following up with the characters.

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment