Saturday, June 17, 2017

Spoiler: Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco

This is yet another audiobook that hooked me. And more than any other that I've listened to before. Our story takes place in London during the time of the Jack the Ripper murders. Our main character, Audrey takes little to no shit from anyone and works secretly with her uncle learning the about forensic science. A little strange for a young woman in such a time period. Through her work, she begins to investigate a string of murders where women are butchered in the east end, and begin to piece together who the murderer could be. Is it someone close to her?

So since you've read the book you know who it is. But were you shocked? I was a little underwhelmed at learning who the murderer was, but blown away for the reasons of the murders. I think that the author had a mesmorizing way of writing about such gruesome things that kept me interested and wondering about who the killer was, what it was like to do an autopsy in such times, and why the bodies were being butchered in such ways. The narrator for the audiobook had a tremendous voice and kept me interested throughout the story. Her accent was amazing and I would truly recommend the audiobook to anyone looking for a good thriller. Please excuse the lack of care taken in the character section, I have trouble remembering side characters names in audiobooks.

Characters:
Audrey: I had my doubts that she would be a badass main character in such a time. And while the story does a great job of showing what life was like for young women in the time period, I had trouble believing that she would be able to investigate a body for Scotland Yard. Although if she had someone who admired her who was in charge I suppose that made sense. I did think that at some points she was a bit naive and at others so peculiar. But these two things really helped tie the story together. I think that the way she cared so much for women she had only really known in death was amazing, and how although she had a certain standard for the way she was brought up she didn't look down on these young women. She wondered about the choices that had placed them where they were. I can't wait to read more from her perspective.

Thomas: Now he is a sly fox. I thought for sure that he was going to be the ripper, but after finding out about his trouble past and being thrown out by his father, his actions started to make a lot more sense. I did think there were multiple times where his choice of words were irritating especially when he acted like such a know it all (even though he was). But I can't wait to see he and Audrey flirt even more in the next book.

Nathaniel: I'd be lying if I said he wasn't a suspect for me in the beginning. I had started to brush him aside a little, but after realizing that the author didn't even seem to note him suspicious, I became extra suspicious. Cause that's what kind of anxious person I am.  He was a delusional little shit, and super scary near the end, but I wonder why he became so obsessed with raising the dead, would be interested in a prequel from his point of view.

Uncle Johnathon:  He did seem pretty crazy near the start but after time I realized that science was his family and his job, and his love. So he was devoted? Does that make him crazy... maybe a little bit. I will miss him in the next story, but wouldn't be surprised if he turned up to lend Thomas and Audrey a hand.

Father (Edmond?): He was something, and while he did not deal well with the passing of his wife (who really does?) he tried his best to raise his children in a way that he deemed appropriate. I do feel sorry for him to have seen his beloved wife's corpse being maimed by his crazed son, but at the same time it really shocked him into action for Audrey's future.

 Blackburn: When did you become interested in Audrey and what will happen to you now?

Cousin V: I liked her spunk, but also the way she dealt with the cultural norms at this time. She still obeyed her mother's will, while staying true to who she was as well. A very interesting character to say the least.


Thanks for reading,
Sidny


No comments:

Post a Comment