Saturday, June 17, 2017

Book Review: The Slippery Slope by Lemony Snicket


297792

Title: The Slippery Slope
Author: Lemony Snicket
Series/Standalone: A Series of Unfortunate Events (Book #10)
Genre: Fiction, Middle Grade, Fantasy
Pages: 337
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Year Published: 2003
Format: Hardback Copy (Library Book)
First Line: "A man of my acquaintance once wrote a poem called 'The Road Less Travelled,' describing a journey he took through the woods along a path most travellers never used."

"Dear Reader,

Like handshakes, house pets, or raw carrots, many things are preferable when not slippery. Unfortunately, in this miserable volume, I am afraid that Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire run into more than their fair share of slipperiness during their harrowing journey up- and down- a range of strange and distressing mountains.

In order to spare you any further repulsion, it would be best not to mention any of the unpleasant details of this story, particularly a secret message, a toboggan, a deceitful map, a swarm of snow gnats, a scheming villain, a troupe of organized youngsters, a covered casserole dish, and a surprising survivor of a terrible fire.

Unfortunately, I have dedicated my life to researching and recording the sad tale of the Baudelaire orphans. There is no reason for you to dedicate your-self to such things, and you might instead dedicate yourself to letting this slippery book slip from your hands into a nearby trash receptacle, or deep pit.

With all due respect,
Lemony Snicket."

My Rating: 3.5/5

I really enjoyed the last book that I'd read in this series and was really looking forward to getting into reading them again, but unfortunately, this one just didn't do it for me. I really thought that Lemony Snicket's writing style would continue to surprise me but it kind of went back to how I felt in the beginning of the series, that I had outgrown the story. I am going to continue the series, for the simple reason that I really need to hear about Beatrice and Lemony. I am far more interested in their lives at this point than the sad lives of the Baudelaire's. I know that this is going to catch a lot of flack from people who really enjoyed this series, but I'm hoping to get through the series and then collect my thoughts on the series as a whole.

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment