Saturday, June 10, 2017

Book Review: The Lightning Thief By Rick Riordan


28187
Title: The Lightning Thief 
Author: Rick Riordan
Series/Standalone: Percy Jackson and The Olympians (Book #1)
Genre: Fantasy, Middle Grade, Adventure
Pages: 377
Publisher: Disney Hyperion Books
Year Published: 2005
Format: Physical Paperback Copy (Own It)
First Line: "Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood."

"Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook, and into his life. And worse he's angered a few of them. Zeus's master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect. 
Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus's stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves."

My Rating: 4/5

This is a reread for me and one that's been long awaited. I loved these books when I was younger and the humour made my own middle school and high school experience laughable. I loved Rick Riordan's writing style and still do. I forgot how much I missed this world and this sense of humour towards mythology. I also enjoy the fact that this story gives mythology a new and interesting subject. I hadn't thought about it in a while. In all honesty the most recent time I'd thought about Greek mythology was while reading A Court of Mist and Fury. So this was a refreshing look at classic characters. I can't wait to reread the rest of the series and plan to during the coming months. The one aspect of the book I found lacking was the fact that Percy was only 12 years old while some of his actions made me believe he was closer to 14-15 years old. As an adult that's just a personal observation that I made while reading this book. I can't wait to see where the rest of this series takes me and hopefully start the Blood of Olympus series (is that what it's called).

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment