Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Spoiler: Blood of Wonderland by Colleen Oakes

I finally picked up the second instalment... way to go me.
This series is going in such an interesting direction. While the Queen of Hearts Saga is obviously a retelling, it has elements of the story worked in in clever ways. This being said, this middle novel just seemed like it was trying to make a bridge to the end of the story. 
And while I understand the need branch out from the castle and explore the tipsy-topsy world of Wonderland and to see a change in our main character. These two changes are what really carried the story for me. Aspects of this story reminded me of the journey tales in other fantasy novels. 

Characters:
Dinah: She has changed so much as a character throughout these first two books. Changing from a spoiled brat who was more than a little naive. To learn how to be skeptical of those around her and continuing on a journey to become a warrior and a leader. I'm interested to see how she handles a war as well as relations with those she's met along the way.

Wardley: I kind of forgot about him. I know that we're supposed to love him, but I don't really care about him all that much. That being said, when he broke Dinah's heart you could see the distinct change in their relationship and her demeanour I see how that was necessary for her to become who she was meant to be.

Morte: Not really an animated character. He proved a good point about most of the things in Wonderland, you can't own them. They are of their own nature.

Sir Gorran: I like him. He's feisty and loyal and a little crazy. That being said, I'm worried that I am putting too much faith in him. I think that he would make a top advisor if he's not a scheming jerk.

Mundoo:  I really liked the way he held his ground with Dinah, letting her know that he would not kneel to her and let her be their leader of his people was a strong power mood.

Cheshire: I still don't trust this crazy freak. I don't think that he's her dad. I really think that he's manipulating her and he needs to go if she's gonna win this war.


Moments to Remember:
Pg. 92
"'Let me stand. I said, let me stand!' She rolled over quickly, which caused him to lose his balance. Then she grabbed hold of the Spade's leg and dug her teeth into his calf.
He let out a yell and hopped away. 'Yeh bit me! Who bites someone?'"

Moments to Remember: "The question was who would she be when she got here."


Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment