Sunday, December 17, 2017

Spoiler: Cress by Marissa Meyer

I think that this series really has a lot going for it, which is likely why it's such a classic in the YA book community. I think that Marissa Meyer does a great job storytelling with a twist on the classics. I love the way the characters intertwine and connect without seeming overdone. I also have really connected with a few of our characters in these past three books. Unfortunately, Cress wasn't one of them for me. I thought that she was ok, but she didn't really capture a whole of my attention. I

I also really appreciated the change of scenery in this book. Which has happened in the past two novels. I always appreciate when authors are willing to expand on their world/universe. I think that the space aspects of this story were especially interesting to me. 

Characters:
Cress: I think that she was just too nice for me. I like my characters to have a little more fire or humour behind them and she just didn't. I can see how she made a very good damsel in distress and how the world from her perspective was an interesting idea, it just wasn't my favorite. I also found it rather obvious that she was Dimitri's child. Especially after the first two books. It just became to clear for it to be even close to a surprise.

Thorne: I like him. He's a sassy womanizer. He also reminds me a lot of Han Solo's attitude projected into a young Captain character. I wonder what he'll think as his eyesight begins to return. I also wonder how his relationship with Cress will grow.

Cinder: She's gotten a lot more fierce throughout the series, something I'm totally on board with. I loved that she was willing to go to such lengths to show that she was capable while still keeping true to who she really is. I also liked her consciousness aspects, the feelings of guilt she felt when using her power kept her relatable for me. 

Scarlet: She's by far my favorite main character. She is so loyal to those she loves and believes in. It was sad to see her lose so much because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I do think that she'll find her way out though.

Wolf: I also love him. I really enjoy his relationship with Scarlet and the evidence of heartbreak as he begins to believe that she is gone. I think that's an important aspect that fairytales sometime forget to show. How the love of the two is reciprocated. 

Sybil: She went just the right amount of crazy for me. She deserved what she got, I do wonder how her death will affect Levana.

Levana: Speaking about the evil lady herself, I'm super excited to get to Fairest to learn more about her backstory and why she turned into the person she did. I also wonder about her perspective being more present in Winter. 

Kai: He's got a lot of pressure on him the poor dude. That being said, he just seems lost so much of the time. I sincerely hope that he's ready to do what they have to end the war. 

Dr. Erland: This might have been the most heartbreaking part of the story line for me. To finally found something that you thought was gone only to have a short amount of time to enjoy it/share it with the other person. It was heartbreaking to see him start to lose his mind, but I think it was important to see that anyone is now able to catch the plague. ANYONE.

Iko: Just as sassy as I remember and I love it. I hope that she gets everything she wants throughout the series and I can't wait to see how she does with the upcoming war. She is getting braver with each book, and slightly less self-centred which I can appreciate.

Jacin: I'm not sure what to think about this character yet. It's clear that he and Winter have an intense relationship, but I'm curious how that happened and how it got to that point. Especially with him being Sybil's puppet.

Winter: I also appreciated seeing someone who just looks like she's full of madness. I appreciate a character who is not exactly reliable and who the reader is unsure of. I can't wait to read her story in the final book in the series.


Moments to Remember:
Final Line: "'So I'm going to Luna, and I'm going to start a revolution.'"


Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment