Sunday, February 11, 2018

Book Review: When It Happens by Susane Colasanti


781046
Title: When It Happens
Author: Susane Colasanti
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 310
Publisher: Speak
Year Published: 2006
Format: Paperback Copy
First Line: "'So.'"

"A boy, a girl, and the possibility of something real...

Seniors in high school, Sara and Tobey couldn't be more different. She wants to get into her first-choice college; he wants to win Battle of the Bands. Sara's other goal is to find true love, so when popular Dave asks her out, she's thrilled. But Tobey always creeps into her thoughts. Lucky for Sara, one of Tobey's goals is also to make her fall in love with him. Told in alternating point of view, Sara and Tobey's real connection will have everyone rooting for them from the minute they meet."

My Rating: 1/5

This is a low rating, even for me. This is a book that's been sitting on my shelf for years on years on years. So I pulled it out of my TBR jars and that forced me to read it. And I freaking hated it. It reminded me why I hated YA Romance books in the 2000s. This book was so hurtful to read and used so many tropes. I hated the way the characters acted, were portrayed and the writing just overall. This book uses slut shaming in many aspects of the book and I just couldn't relate to the characters. In my opinion, the author seemed to be writing about teens without knowing anything about teens.

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment