Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Spoiler: The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

Yes, I know I'm behind on extremely popular reads... what else is new?
So this was the pick for my local book club this month, one that I definitely voted for after hearing a lot of praise for the series overall. I'm not going to lie to anyone, I was a little disappointed. I found that this series was interesting, but I was curious about some things and bored with many others throughout it. I also tried to read the physical copy first but the sentences just seemed never ending and extremely intimidating.
That being said I did really enjoy the audiobook. It was full cast and narrated by the author, so I felt that I understood how he meant for his work to be interpreted. 

Characters:
Lyra: Like puberty isn't hard enough, to see playmates getting kidnapped left, right and centre. Also to see the world around you start to drastically change. I do wonder how she will change within the next novel. 

Pan: I wonder how he will be interpreted in this other world and if it will be normal for him to stay so close to Lyra. I also wonder what his permanent form will be.

Lord Azriel: I was extremely surprised to find out that perhaps he was the real problem in these experiments. I was also surprised at the lengths he was willing to go prove his points. I also wonder what he truly believes about Dust.

Marisa Coulter: Here I thought that she was the real villain, and boom she might be the more open villain. The one whose the head honcho.. ya know?

Iorek Byrnison: Loved his voice in the audiobook and his love for Lyra. I wonder how he will react once he realizes that she is gone. I do wonder how he'll rule the bears and react with Lyra kind of disappearing. 

Iofur Raknison: An interesting idea to see a bear wishing to be human. As well as someone trying to be something they are not. I won't say that he'll be missed. The description of his palace though was astounding and really helped me to understand his character.

Serafina Pekkala: Another interesting perspective to read about. Hearing about such a different perspective makes me wonder how the separation of others would affect them. Although they can already be far apart, they are still connected.


Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment