Sunday, February 11, 2018

Spoiler: When It Happens by Susane Colasanti

Wow, I've never rated a book so low and thought so lowly of a book that I read. That is harsh, I'm aware. I just didn't like how the author portrayed teenagers and used stereotypes throughout the story as a whole. I think that this story portrayed teenage boys as only thinking about sex and getting off without thinking about others feelings overall. Even confusing lust and love. The teenage girls in this book were worried about not being pretty enough, smart enough or thin enough for boys to call them and ask them out. I was just so upset throughout this book.

Characters:
Sarah: Spends far to much time thinking about how she's the smart girl, not the pretty popular girl. She also seems to think that if you think about sex and you're a girl you should have the label as a slut. It was so frustrating to read about such a negative sex oriented story.

Tobey: The one thing that made up for this book was the fact that Tobey brought up birth control and it is brought up a few times in this story. I think that his constant narration about how bad he wants to bang Sara is just irritating. I'm aware teenagers are hormonal but girls are allowed to have positive thoughts about sex. Shook. I know.

Dave: Obviously all jocks are jerks and can't be trusted. All they want to do is pressure you into sex and think about having sex with your way hotter friend... right?

Josh: Kinda a blah character.

Laila: Another blah character.

Maggie: I liked her, she was someone I think would have a better perspective for a contemporary novel, that being said if it was written the same way.

Mike: Super static character.


Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment