Thursday, February 1, 2018

Book Review: Me Before You by Jojo Moyes


15507958
Title: Me Before You
Author: Jojo Moyes
Series/Standalone: Me Before You (Book #1)
Genre: Romance, Adult Fiction
Pages: 369
Publisher: Penguin Books
Year Published: 2012
Format: Paperback Copy (Own It)
First Line: "When he emerges from the bathroom she is awake, propped up against the pillows and flicking through th travel brochures that were beside his bed."

"Louisa Clark is an ordinary girl living an exceedingly ordinary life- steady boyfriend, close family- who has barely been farther afield than her tiny village. She takes a badly needed job working for ex-Master of the Universe Will Traynor, who is wheelchair-bound after an accident. Will has always lived a huge life- big deals, extreme sports, worldwide travel- and he is not interested in exploring a new one.

Will is acerbic, moody, bossy- but Lou refuses to treat him with kid gloves, and soon his happiness means more to her than she expected. When she learns that Will has shocking plans of his own. Lou sets out to show him that life is still worth lving.

Me Before You bring to life two people who couldn't have less in common- a heartbreaking romantic novel that asks, What do you do when making the person you love happy also means breaking your own heart?"

My Rating: 3.5/5

I've been interested in reading this book since I heard about it, but after hearing so many troubling reviews I had put it off. I decided that I wanted to form my own opinion. Overall romance is not usually a genre I enjoy strictly, but I do enjoy watching the odd Rom Com. movie. I wasn't surprised that overall I enjoyed this book. But that's not to say that this book isn't problematic because it certainly is. But I think its ok to have books that you read for entertainment that are problematic as long as you realize that they are problematic. I can see how this book was very popular when it came out and I do plan on continuing with the series and seeing where Lou's adventures take us. 

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment