Saturday, February 10, 2018

Spoiler: Salt to the Sea by Ruta Septys

This book has taken booktube by storm by being one of the most hard-hitting young adult historical fiction. I certainly agree with these statements this is a tragedy that a lot of people don't know about and I'm certainly one of them. I had no idea that this had happened during the war and had affected so many people, more people than the Titanic. I'm also looking forward to reading more of her works, but I'm glad that I planned to read a light-hearted contemporary book for after this hard-hitting read.

Characters:
Joana: She is strong and wise beyond her years. She has guts and has given up so much to help those around her. I can't imagine living through something like that and raising two children that you rescued. 

Florian: I enjoyed his perspective a lot based on him being on the run from the rest of his peers. To realize everything that happened during his time in the art gallery. I was glad that he was the knight they needed.

Alfred: I hated him. With a fiery passion! He was the trained sociopath that I think we expect that the German soldiers would be.

Emilia: Her story is what broke me the most. To be traded in for someone else's safety. To live her life being told that she is nothing and no one. To give birth after the sexual assault from possibly multiple people. To give up her life for that of her child, it broke me.

Shoe Poet: His death broke my heart, but at least it was quick. He didn't freeze to death in the water, and he helped Klaus find someone else to take care of him.

Klaus: I wonder about his future and what his childhood was like. Did his life get better after the war, or did he traumatic stress disorders?

Ingrid: The first loss hit hard, I was really excited to see that she had made it so far, especially being hunted for being blind, but then after it all, it didn't work out.


Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment