Saturday, January 5, 2019

Spoiler: Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

So this book is marketed as a mystery and I would have to disagree with that. I think that this is a wonderful book that follows characters that you grow to love so incredibly quickly. As I was telling my boyfriend about the storyline I kept getting drawn into all the characters and how well developed they were. I also loved the setting the idea of New Orleans after the war and the difference between the Quarter and the rich areas. The narrators had wonderful accents that were natural and not overdone. The whole book was very well written. 
I will warn anyone going into this book that while it is marketed as a mystery, I wouldn't say that that is it's the strongest aspect. 

Characters (excuse the spelling, it was an audiobook):
Jo: I love that she is willing to push herself to be more than anyone expects, she is smart, cunning and ambitious in the best ways possible. But she doesn't push it too much. She wants what she deserves and doesn't use people to get it. I was annoyed that she didn't just go to Willie when she got the mark, but in some ways, I understand why she felt she had to do it herself.

Jesse: I like his character overall, but I'd be lying if I said that he was my first choice. I thought that he was a good fit for Jo because of their backgrounds and mutual understanding. I think that he is also willing to push Jo to be her best, and I hope that he will do the same for himself.

Patrick: His character was one of my favourites. I felt for him and his relationship with those around him. His fear about what people would do if they found out. And the loss of his father was almost too much to handle. I hope that he played the piano on the world stage at some point.

Willie: Now at the start I expected that I would hate her character and I didn't understand her attitude towards others, but as I continued I realized she was hard because she had to be. She felt as though she had to shut some out to be strong, that being said it didn't mean she didn't love anybody. Her relationships with some of the girls was so much stronger than I expected and I loved her. Up until the end.

Cokey: He's another character I just loved. He was well fleshed out and although he had a gambling problem he wanted to do good for those he cared about. I think that his singing was one of the best parts in the audiobook.

Charlie: I wonder about his life and how he got to know Willie so well. Were they just friends in the Quarter or had they known each other since he opened up shop? I wish that he hadn't met his end so soon, but I'm grateful that it was peaceful.

Loius: The things people will do to their own children never fail to frighten me. The way she acted as though she was nothing hurt me so deeply. 

Cincinnati: A sick freak who knows how to woo those who want his cash. Just sad that in the long run, he didn't end up behind bars.

Lockwell (I can't remember his name): By far the villain in this book. His character was well written and it made my skin crawl. To know the things he wanted to do to young women and how he thought he was entitled to do just that was horrible to read about. But I think extremely important. 

Charlotte: I hope that their friendship continue into the future. Because we all know you can't judge someone by their parents. 

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment