Monday, January 21, 2019

Book Review: Renegades by Marissa Meyer


28421168
Title: Renegades
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series/Standalone: Renegades Series (Book #1)
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction
Pages: 552
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Year Published: 2017
Format: Audiobook (For the last 2/3s)

"Secret Identities. Extraordinary Powers. She wants vengeance. He wants justice.

The Renegades are a syndicate of prodigies- humans with extraordinary abilities- who emerged from the ruins of a crumbled society and established peace and order where chaos reigned. As champions of justice, they remain a symbol of hope and courage to everyone... except the villains they once overthrew.

Nova has a reason to hate the Renegades, and she is on a mission for vengeance. As she gets closer to her target, she meets Adrian, a Renegade boy who believes in justice- and in Nova. But Nova's allegiance is to a villain who has the power to end them both."

My Rating: 3/5

A few years ago this was one of the most hyped books on booktube and in the book community. And I gotta say, I just don't think that I understand where all the hype came from. As someone who generally enjoys Marvel and DC movies, I was so excited about the idea of a superhero YA book. That being said, I had some problems with this story that I also have in a superhero movie (for example disguises that just don't make sense to me or wouldn't modify a person's voice). But I also for other reasons (why does every YA anything have to have a romance). I was left with some lingering questions, but I'm not sure if it's enough for me to want to continue the series. I will be taking some time to decide whether I will be listening to the next book on audio this year (spoiler: probably not unless I run out of other audiobooks). 

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment