Saturday, January 12, 2019

Spoiler: The You I've Never Known by Ellen Hopkins

So let's start this off by saying that I rarely read the synopsis in a book and I'm certainly glad that I didn't in this one. After writing it out I see that any idea of mystery or wonder is totally explained in the description. I found it extremely frustrating that this is the case. I understand that the author is using her voice to describe a situation that in some ways was own voices. A terrifying tale to say the least, but this is more common than some may think. That being said, as someone who works in childcare, I understand how these things could happen.

Overall I just found this story to be too drawn out for me. I enjoyed the verse, but it didn't have the same effect on me that it has in some other books by the author. I also found that the characters were difficult to connect with. 

Characters:
Ariel/Casey: I think that her character is difficult to read from. Watching her walk on eggshells around her father and talk about her love for him was difficult to stomach, but that's the only life she remembers. Seeing her develop relationships with those around her was also good, but just not in depth as I thought that it would be. 

Jason: I do believe that he has a mental disorder. I'm not sure what, but the way he manipulates and uses Ariel/Casey against Maya is horrifying to think about. That and the way he is able to lie so convincingly made me extremely uncomfortable. I do wonder what happened to all the women he used and abused along the way.

Maya: I enjoyed her end journal entry's to be able to better understand her life with and without her daughter. The hope she lives with is amazing. 

Monica: Her character wasn't as fleshed out as I hoped it to be. At some points, she was spoken as this kick-ass girl who knew who she was and other times she almost appeared meek. 


Gabe: I liked him, but probably based on every basic guy I've ever met.


Hillary: I'm more interested in her life. Was she running away on her horse? What is she going to do now that she can't ride? Does she miss it? Like we're not going to talk about this?


Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment