Friday, August 30, 2013

Spoiler: White Cat by Holly Black

This isn’t a book I expected to read, I try not to review books that other book reviewing friends have, but I couldn’t stop wondering what it was about and so I picked it up. Honestly, it wasn’t all I hoped it to be. I think that the idea of curse work is amazing and I love the idea of how the twenty first century would look with it, but I don’t think Holly Black expanded on these ideas as much as she could have. I was surprised at how much I guessed correctly by half way through the book (Lila being the cat, Cassel being a worker, even down to knowing what type of worker.) and so I can’t say that there was a time a was fully in suspense. It just wasn’t there for me. As well, the characters weren’t that in depth. I felt close to Cassel, Barron and Lila but other than that Phillip and the others were more of a mystery to me.

♥Characters♥:
♥Cassel: Our main character is interesting enough. I like that he goes around in the first half of the book trying to convince everyone he’s not a worker because he truly believes it but after he finds out he all but races to tell Sam and Daneca. Kind of odd.Mainly I was happy that he got Lila back and that he doesn’t have to feel regret about killing her because he didn’t! Yay! I do think the end is an interesting twist. The fact that his mom went and worked Lila to love him is awful, but maybe she had feelings for him before so it would work out. If not there’s always what’s her name from the school. Hopefully we learn more about what’s going on with the whole cursework laws as well in Book 2.
♥Barron: I was interested that he would sell out his brother so easily for money, that was a huge shock and the fact that the blow back from his memory work is that his own memory goes missing hopefully if he stops using he’ll be able to retain information again. I don’t think he’s a bad guy at heart, I think maybe he’s jealous of Cassel, or wishes that he didn’t have to take care of him because of their mother being locked up. I am interested to see how the whole notebook thing plays out should be interesting.
♥Phillip: Ok by the end of the book he hates Cassel. He thinks that he’s the reason that Maura and the baby left, but I do wonder how involved he was. She deserved the chance to get out, but at what cost. Will Phillip hunt them down? Oh the questions.
♥Lila: Seems like a brat. But after being a cat I can’t say I judge her. I would act a little cranky to if someone who you thought was your friend transformed you into an animal and never helped again. Damn! Hopefully when Cassel’s mother’s curse work wears off, Lila will stick with Cassel, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see.
♥Sam: My visual of this guy, hilarious. I love him and Daneca though.
♥Daneca: I think she pushes the whole HEX thing a little hard, but she’s a good person at heart.
♥Desi/ Cassel’s Grandfather: Seems like a good guy even though his job for a while was killing people off. I imagine he’s just lucky to loose use of his fingers instead of his heart. Hopefully he takes care of the whole Lila issue.
♥Zacharov: All powerful mob boss, do tell what kind of worker are you? He scares the living poop out of me, but at the same time I want to learn more about his past and such.


Moments to Remember:
♥Pg. 53
“Once someone’s hurt you, it’s harder to relax around them, harder to think of them as safe to love. But it doesn’t stop you from wanting them. Sometimes I actually think it makes the wanting worse.”

♥Pg. 61
“’I had a weird dream.’
 ‘Let me guess. You got tied up by lady ninjas. With big hooters.’
 ‘Uh, no.’ I take a sip of coffee and wince. Grandad made it ridiculously strong.
 My grandfather shoves a strip of bacon in his mouth with a grin. ‘Guess it would have been kind of weird if we’d had the same dream.’”
♥Pg. 200
“’You think the government is going to roll over because you’ve murdered your way to the top of a crime family? You think Zacharov could have the world by the balls, but he’s all ‘No, thanks’?’”

♥Pg. 255
“My fellow students look at me like I’m a dangerous lunatic with two heads and a nasty communicable disease. I keep my head down, eat my Tater Tots at lunch, and try to look interested in my classes.”

♥Pg. 299
“’Do you know when her actual release happens?’
 ‘They say Friday,’ he says. ‘But they’ve already changed the date twice, so I don’t know how seriously to take it. But I guess we should get a cake or something, in case. Worst case scenario: We eat the cake anyway.’”

Last Line: “Marks forget that whenever something’s to o good to be true, that’s because it’s a con.”

Thanks for reading,
Love,
Sidny xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment