Sunday, November 6, 2016

Book Review: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket


297671

Title: The Bad Beginning
Author: Lemony Snicket
Series/Stand Alone: A Series of Unfortunate Events (Book #1)
Genre: Fiction, Middle Grade, Fantasy
Pages: 162
Publisher: HarperCollinsPublishers
Year Published: 1999
First Line: "If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book."

"Dear Reader,
I'm  sorry to say that the book you are holding in your hands is extremely unpleasant. It tells an unhappy tale about three very unlucky children. Even though they are charming and clever, the  Baudelaire siblings lead lives filled with misery and woe. From the very first page of this book when the children are at the beach and receive terrible news, continuing on through the entire story, disaster lurks at their heels. One might say they are magnets for misfortune. 
In this short book alone, the three youngsters encounter a greedy and repulsive villain, itchy clothing, a disastrous fire, a plot to steal their fortune, and cold porridge for breakfast.
It is my sad duty to write down these unpleasant tales, but there is nothing stopping you from putting this book down at once reading something happy, if you prefer that sort of thing.
With all due respect,
Lemony Snicket."

My Rating: 4.5/5

Let me start this off by saying this is a reread because I finally saw the Netflix trailer for the new show and had to reread the series before it comes out. I forgot how incredible Lemony Snicket's writing style is. I really enjoyed the story although it is not my favorite in the series and I found that it was too short to really earn the 5/5 although I love the series as a whole. I can't wait to continue this reread although my tbr is slowly taking over my room. I look forward to learning more about the siblings and remember where this series goes.

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment