Sunday, November 27, 2016

Book Review: The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutoski

21469136
Title: The Winner's Curse
Author: Marie Rutoski
Series/Standalone: The Winner's Trilogy Book #1
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance
Pages: 384
Publisher: Square Fish
Year Published: 2014
First Line: "She shouldn't have been tempted."

"Winning what you want may cost you everything you love.
They were never meant to be together. As a general's daughter, seventeen-year-old Kestrel enjoys an extravagant and privileged life. Arin has nothing but the clothes on his back.. Then Kestrel makes an impulsive decision that binds Arin to her. Though they try to fight it, they can't help but fall in love. In order to be together, they must betray their people... but to be loyal to their countries, they must betray each other.
Set in a  new world, The Winner's Curse is a story rebellion, duels, ballroom dances, wicked rumours, dirty secrets and games where everything is at stake and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart."

My Rating: 5/5

I read the description on this book, which is something I never do. But I must say I was surprisingly impressed. I kind of expected this to be another romance based in fantasy and while it had many romance moments, I thought that it was so much more than that. It really helped me think about the invasions in the past of many North American countries. It was heartbreaking story to read and I can't wait to see what happens throughout the rest of this series. The author did an awesome job of introducing not one, but two different cultures. I think that the characters were lovable and interesting enough to keep me intrigued. I'm trying so hard not to spoil anything in this section, but if you're interested in one, please look below.

Thanks for reading,
Sidny




No comments:

Post a Comment