Thursday, September 29, 2016

Book Review: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

22557272
Title: The Girl on the Train
Author: Paula Hawkins
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Mystery, Fiction, Suspense, Adult
Pages: 316
Publisher: Doubleday Canada
Year Published: 2015
First Line: "She's buried beneath a silver birch tree, down towards the old train tracks, her grave marked with a cairn.

"There she sits. The girl on the train. What she sees gazing out the window will change everything.
Everyday the same
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She looks forward to it. She's even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life- as she sees it- is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.
Until today
And then she sees something shocking. IT's only a minute until the train moves on, but it's enough. Now everything's changed. Unable to keep her discovery to herself Rachel goes to the police. But is she really as unreliable as they say? Soon she is deeply entangled not only in the investigation but in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?"

My Rating: 3.5/5

I think that books need to stop saying that there is a thrill that you'll never suspect because I'm overly suspicious soooo.... I thought that this book was chilling and creepy. Needless to say a perfect fall read, that being said I'm not sure I loved it. I enjoyed myself while reading it but I also found the way it was written to be a little bit confusing for me as I couldn't read it all in one sitting. I also found that the characters were extremely frustrating. I didn't care for any of them and while all together they made for an interesting story, I wouldn't want to hear anything else about them... really ever. 
I also found that this story was frustrating for those who don't care for self-pity. That being said, if you're newer to thrillers or  mysteries with an edge this will be right up your ally. Remembering that this is a adult book I would suggest this for an older crowd.
All in all, I enjoyed the suspense and the build up but wasn't impressed with the ending to the novel. Tell me what you're thoughts are down below if you've read it, if not tell me what books you plan to read for fall.

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment