Sunday, January 14, 2018

Spoiler; A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas

This book has been a long time coming for me to read. I preordered this book after binge reading ACOTAR and ACOMAF two books that I loved so much in 2016, but then kept putting it off (first to reread the first 2 and then just based on the opinions of others that it was a let down). Don't get me wrong this was my least favorite of the series so far, but I still enjoyed it. At some points I just found that the story was unneccesarily long which isn't really a good feeling to have in the last book from a certain p.o.v. All of these taken into consideration I really enjoyed catching up with favorite characters, the drama, the action and the further exploration of the world and am excited to continue reading stories in this setting in the future. I am certainly curious about who the next 3 books will be following. 

Characters:
Feyre: I enjoyed seeing her grow so much and become so confident in who she is. I also appreciated her relationship with Rhy in comparison to her relationship with Tamlin in the start of the series. I think that it was important that she got closure from her family as well as her former lover, but at the same time I don't know how she didn't rip him apart for what he did to her family and the land. I also loved how she held her own in this book against all odds.

Rhys: He is probably one of the most loved fictional characters in the booktube and blogger universe at the moment and I'm still aboard the train. The way he makes sure that Feyre is able to make her own decisions while still keeping her "safe" is really important to me. I respected that he was willing to do whatever it takes to protect those he loves and what he believes in. But I didn't appreciate the way that his bringing around was a repeat to Feyre's although in an aspect it made the story come full circle. 

Tamlin: While reading the first book I didn't understand how everyone could come to hate him so much, and yet here I am hating him so much. He's an overprotective, abusive asshole. I hated him throughout this story. Especially when he went to the meeting just to throw insults at Feyre and Rhys. What a dick.

Lucien: I do think that he regretted not helping Feyre when he had the chance but overall it did lead him to finding his mate. I do wonder how that will play out for him and Elain after she was so heartbroken by the mortal guy.

Nesta: I think that hell hath no fury quite like Nesta. She is all fire and ice. I loved her attitude even when it was a little much because of who she was. I do wonder about her and Cassian's future especially after the war and all they had seen. 

Elain: Will she still be seeing prophecies even though the Cauldron has been sent somewhere safe. I also wonder how she will cope with being High Fae in this new world.

Azriel: My heart breaks for him especially knowing that Mor can't love him in return. Will he think those years a waste and be angry with himself and her. Or will he be willing to find someone else? I strongly hope for the second.

Mor: Throwing in Mor's sexuality kind of seemed like a last ditch effort to make this book more diverse and I don't think it really accomplished that. We didn't see a good example of a female-female romance, we saw someone who wasn't ready to come out (which may be accurate for a lot of people), but I think that it could have been done so much better.

Cassien: He's brutish and finally being able to hear about his fighting skills took my breathe away. I think that he was too willing to risk it all, even though he might have had an idea about the way he felt towards Nesta. I hope that they do have a mating bond and it clicks in soon (although at the start of the series they were made to sound rare and here we are with so many people getting paired up). 

Beron: I hate him with a fiery passion just because you suspect that someone is not your child gives you no right to hurt them the way he hurt Lucien.

Eris: Either he will be a far better leader than his father or he will be far worse, only time will tell. 

Ianthe: I'm glad she met her end in such a horrible way. She certainly deserved it. After all the assualts she's launched in her time she deserved everything she got.

The King: I wonder what waited for him after his attempt to use the cauldron. He deserves a painful death and I wonder about his subjects (whoever is left) and how they will take the defeat.

Jurian: I wonder what will happen to him now, maybe that's where our story will continue or maybe w'll meet up with him in another time. But I suppose we will have to wait and see.

Amren: I will miss her fiery attitude and her power, but she deserves to live.



Moments to Remember:
Pg. 234
"'This could be... a very bad idea,' I admitted, my grip tightening on his hand.
'Oh, it must certainly is,' Cassian said with a faint smile as we continued down and down into the heavy black thrumming silence. 'But this is war. We don't have the luxury of good ideas- only picking between the bad ones.'"

Pg. 436
"Beron threw her a glare that had Kallias tensing. 'Wives were invited as a courtesy, not as consultants.'
Viviane's sapphire eyes flared as if struck by lightning. 'If this war goes poorly, we'll be bleeding out right alongside you, so I think we damn well get a say in things.'"

Final Line:
"All of it."

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment