Thursday, January 11, 2018

Spoiler: Ruined by Amy Tintera

So this book was a leap for me, it was compared to Red Queen as some of you may know that that's my favourite series. And I have to say I did really enjoy this book but for different reasons then why I enjoy the Red Queen series. I really liked the romance aspect in the first half o this book, but by the second part of the book, I was little over it. I liked the twists and turns and the changing perspectives, but at times it made the story a little repetitive.  Overall I really enjoyed this book and the world. I also found that it reminded me of The Selection Series with its addictive quality and romantic interest. I look forward to continuing with this series and would recommend as a first fantasy foray for young readers.

Characters:
Em: She's so willing to risk it all for her country even though they mark her as "useless". I did appreciate that she was willing to fight and that she was a bad ass. Also, anyone else enjoys a female main character who can handle a weapon and doesn't have to be trained by a man. I think that she definitely was cunning but let her feelings get in the way of her major plan. 

Olivia: I'm really interested in how she will affect the storyline in the coming books. She is ruthless and willing to kill anyone for the Ruined. She seems more like the villain than the people of Lera did in the long run. 

Cas: I liked him. Although he definitely was too trusting of those around him. Even if he had married the real Mary, I think she would have taken advantage of his kindness. He just seems like he's too sympathetic to everyone's cause which could be good, or gets him killed.

The Queen: LIttle did we know that she was the real obstacle all along. I wonder if she would be willing to kill her son to let her niece ascend the throne. I could sadly see it happening. 

Aren: I loved him. He was willing to fight for those he loved even though he'd lost so much. I am curious about his backstory and how he lived before the start of the war.

Damian: We didn't really get to know him, but he seemed to genuinely care for Em and her cause. It was surprising to see him die so early on. 

Iria: I wonder what her king has in mind for the ruined and why they were so quick to fight against Aren and Em. I hope that Em's speech inspired them, but I doubt it. Especially since they retreated. 

Galo: I loved him and his representation. He was the only one who was completely honest with Cas regardless of what Cas would think. I hope that he makes a good Captain of the Guard but who knows what will happen in the next book.

Jovita: There is something about her,  I wonder who her parents were and what she was taught before she came to live with the King and Queen. Is she willing to fight to ascend to the throne, or will she wait for natural consequences? Guess we'll find out.


Moments to Remember: 
Pg. 160
"'Do you ever wonder,' he said to the ground, 'if maybe we're the dangerous ones, not the Ruined?'
Galo paused before answering. 'All the time.'"

Pg. 263
"'Point that thing at me again and I'll crack every one of your ribs in half and pull them out through your belly button.'"

Final Line: "'They will fear us soon enough.'"

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment