Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Spoiler: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

This may be the year of highly hyped books or books I heard about on the internet. After the big dystopian craze (brought on by the Hunger Games...) this series became rather popular on the internet book community and I waited until now to see if it was really worth the hype or if it was just built up due to the trend of the time. I must say that this book stood the test. I really enjoyed the premise and the unique aspects of the storyline (having mutated powers based on being in the aether, the aether itself, podlife, etc). This book at some points gave me Illuminae vibes (without the space aspect). The characters were interesting but not as diverse as I would have hoped but who knows who we will meet in the next instalment.

Characters:
Perry: I think that he was an interesting love interest. Someone who is so opposite to his partner in most ways but finds themselves unable to resist them in spite of it. I also loved his loyalty to his nephew and the way he saw life on the Outside. The idea of being able to scent how someone felt and thought was interesting to me, I also thought that it was interesting to his two gifts combined both in everyday life and battle. 

Aria: Nothing quite like being called Mole. I enjoyed that part a little too much. I also enjoyed the fact that she was part Outsider and that she gained an ability after being in her "natural" habitat for an extended period of time. I do wonder how she'll carry out the deal that she made at the end of the story and how that will affect her relationship with Perry. 

Roar: A fun side character, reminded me a bit of Lucien in the first ACOTAR book and how his companionship helped Aria through tough times. I also enjoyed that the had similar skills.

Cinder: I wonder where he came from and what his original tribe thought of his gift. Is it possible there is a tribe who can just "use" the Aether?

Talon: While being in a pod seems to be helping his health, I wonder how long after the deal Aria made with the Counsellor. Will that affect his treatment?

Vale: Do we eventually get a backstory about how he felt toward Perry throughout his life, cause it's not like we can just learn about that now. Unless we learn that through Talon or others surrounding Vale. Also to sell out the children of your tribe in order to feed them? What a difficult decision to make, but to hire a hit man for your brother, that's a little overboard. 

Marron: Another character I'm curious to learn about in the next book. One I hope to see alot more in the next book.


Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment