Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Spoiler: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan

This is an incrediblely popular book for this time of year. And I can see the appeal. It's very much like the hallmark Christmas movies we all love around this time of year. That being said, it read a little young for me. I really enjoyed Dash's perspective of the story as he's cynical and pessimistic which is how I feel most days. That being said, I just couldn't relate to the story, and I didn't care for the additional characters in this story. Overall, the setting is one of the only reasons that I continued to read this story and finished it. That being said, I might attempt the second book next holiday season.

Characters:
Lily: She's a very childish 16 year old girl. Which shouldn't have shocked me so much, but the more I read from her perspective the less i enjoyed her story telling. She was too optimistic for me and seemed to think that things would always just be her way, which isn't realistic, not even a little. Something I think most of us find out before we are 16 years-old.

Dash: Now Dash, Dash I like. He's pessimistic and snarky. He's not rude persay but he is able to put people off through omission and strange conversations. He didn't really seem to fit in but he was also able to speak with those around him which is something I can only hope to relate to someday. That being said, by the end of the book he just wasn't everything I hoped he would grow to be.

Boomer: He's a fun character to read from, if only for the reason that he is blatantly honest and true to those around him. He tells people what he thinks and why he thinks them, even though his perspective is a little unusual.

Langston: I liked the fact that there were diverse side characters, but I would be interested in a story about Langston and Benny. I would be interested in his first great heartbreak and love and how he got to know Benny over time.

Sofia: I think that she was ok, but she didn't really hold up to the anticipation that was held out for the reader. She wasn't so great.

Priya: I liked that she was straight forward and friendly, but I do wonder about her friendship with Dash and their other friends. How did they all get to know each other?


Moments to Remember:
Final Line: "'Wake up, Dash.'"

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment