Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Book Review: The Bodies We Wear by Jeyn Roberts

Image result for the bodies we wear cover
Title: The Bodies We Wear
Author: Jeyn Roberts
Series/Novel: Novel
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, 
Pages: 368
Publisher: Ember
Year Published: 2016
First Line: "People say when you take Heam, your body momentarily dies and you catch a glimpse of heaven."

"Sometimes redemption can look like revenge.
Heam: It's the hottest drug around. Users claim they are able to see heaven- a place so beautiful, so indescribably serene, many people never want to come back. And some don't, like Faye's best friend Christian. But when Faye was forced to take Heam, she didn't see heaven; she saw hell. And now she spends her nights training to take revenge on the men who destroyed her future and murdered Christian."

My Rating: 2/5

I want to start off by saying that the following is my opinion. Other may have really enjoyed this book, that being said it just wasn't for me.
This is a pretty low rating for me to give. I rarely give below a 2.5, but the way I look at my rating system is the following:
1.... I hated it
2..... I didn't really like it
3.... MAH (ok i guess)
4.... I liked it
5.... I loved it.

This book took a long time to get going and I found that the writing style didn't immediately catch my attention. The way that the story was written didn't interest me although the idea was interesting. I liked the beginning few chapters of the book but over time I found the main character to be predictable and annoying. The world that the characters live in is interesting but not one that I found interesting enough to think about when I wasn't reading the book. I also found that this whole book was jumping from a variety of themes and I couldn't seem to focus on what was going on and what I was supposed to be thinking about during the thickening of the plot.

All and all, I just didn't care for this book. This book may be better suited for a younger crowd as they may relate more to Faye the main character but other than that, I just didn't find anything gripping about the story.

Thanks for reading,
Sidny


No comments:

Post a Comment